Grenada Sailing courses offered through our partner LTD Sailing will help you live your Caribbean sailing dreams. The week-long live-aboard courses are designed to give you a hands-on learning experience. All courses are offered aboard Sunsail yachts.
Class size is limited to no more than four students to ensure plenty of time for individual instruction and hands-on sailing. You will have the chance to explore one of the best sailing destinations in the world while learning the skills you need to live your sailing dreams!
Scheduling and duration information
The calendar year runs from the beginning of November through the end of August. Generally, courses are not offered in September and October due to the high probability of severe weather.
Call a Sunsail Vacation Planner to discuss available courses.
Courses offered include seven and ten-day live aboard courses. The seven-day courses generally run Sunday – Saturday. The ten-day courses are a bit more flexible. For more details, please contact LTD Sailing – “Living the Dream!” by calling 473 457 3240.
Basic cruise and Learn
- Covers Basic Keelboat (ASA 101), Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA 103) and Bareboat Cruising Certification (ASA 104)
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- This course will take you from the basics through Bareboat Charter certification.
- Our Basic Cruise and Learn course is perfect for beginner to intermediate sailors wanting to earn their Bareboat Charter certification.
- Start living your sailing dreams and learn everything you need to know to charter a boat anywhere in the world.
Catamaran Cruise and Learn
- Our Caribbean live aboard catamaran sailing school includes: Basic Keelboat (ASA 101), Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA 103), Bareboat Cruising Certification (ASA 104) and Cruising Catamaran (ASA 114).
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Cruising Catamarans are becoming more and more popular for Caribbean bareboat charters due to their speed, stability, and comfort. This course will teach you everything you need to know to safely charter your own cruising catamaran.
Advanced Coastal Cruising
- Includes: Coastal Navigation (ASA 105) and Advanced Coastal Cruising (ASA 106)
- This course includes sailing in all prudent weather conditions during daylight and at night.
- Learn to use chart plotters, analyze weather conditions, handle emergency situations and navigate at night.
- We will also cover advanced anchoring techniques, performance tuning and sail trim, reefing and heavy-weather sailing tactics.
- ASA Bareboat Cruising certification (ASA 104) or equivalent experience is required as a prerequisite for this course.
- This is one of our advanced sailing courses, designed to challenge your limits and expand your sailing skills. If your sailing dreams go beyond bareboat chartering in mellow conditions, this course is the next step toward living your dream
- We can offer this course on either a Monohull or Catamaran.
- Need to brush up on your skills? Want instruction on your own boat? Or maybe you would like take a class with just you and your friends. We can tailor training to fit your needs!
ASA 101, Basic Keelboat Sailing
In the Basic Keelboat course, you will learn how to skipper a 20′ – 27′ sloop-rigged keelboat by day, in light to moderate winds and sea conditions. Develop a solid foundation in Basic sailing terminology, parts, and functions, helm commands, basic sail trim, points of sail, buoyage, seamanship and safety including basic navigation rules to avoid collisions and hazards.
ASA 103, Basic Coastal Cruising
Basic Coastal Cruising will teach you how to skipper a sloop-rigged auxiliary powered 25′-35′ keelboat by day in moderate winds and sea conditions. Adding to basic cruising sailboat terminology, basic boat systems, auxiliary engine operation, docking procedures, intermediate sail trim, navigation rules, basic coastal navigation, anchoring, weather, safety, and seamanship.
ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising
Put it all together with the Bareboat Cruising course by learning how to sail a sloop-rigged, auxiliary powered 30′-45′ sailboat during a multi-day cruise upon inland/coastal waters in moderate/heavy winds and sea conditions. Learn about provisioning, boat systems, auxiliary engines, advanced sail trim, coastal navigation, anchoring/mooring, docking, emergency operations, weather, and more.
ASA 105, Coastal Navigation
In this course, you will learn the navigational theory required to safely navigate a sailing vessel in coastal or inland waters. This is a theory course only, there is no sailing involved. The practical application of the material taught in this course is part of ASA 106, Advanced Coastal Cruising. Some of the techniques included are cross bearing fixes, running fixes, determining set, drift, and course to steer. This course thoroughly covers all common coastal navigation techniques needed to navigate in coastal waters without the use of GPS. It will also give you a much more in-depth understanding of how to navigate WITH GPS.
ASA 106, Advanced Coastal Cruising
Safely act as skipper and crew of a sailing vessel about 30 to 50 feet in length in coastal and inland waters, in any conditions. We cover advanced sail trim, storm tactics, and voyage planning all while practicing coastal navigation techniques learned in ASA 105 while underway. This course also covers night sailing.
ASA 114, Cruising Catamaran
An advanced cruising standard. Learn to act as skipper and crew of a 30-50 foot multihull sailboat by day in coastal waters. You will learn the unique skills needed to safely and efficiently sail a cruising catamaran. Catamarans offer many advantages to the cruising sailor. We will teach you how to optimize those performance features.
Sailing School Profiles
|Chris Rundlett – Instructor/OwnerChris started his sailing adventure in North Dakota with a little Sunfish borrowed from the US Coast Guard base where his father was stationed. There was plenty of wind – but not much water. Always dreaming of bigger horizons, he never missed an opportunity to go sailing. Over a decade ago, he decided to stop dreaming his life and start living his dream. He started teaching sailing, working as a delivery captain, skippering yacht charters and now runs his own sailing school – LTD Sailing “Living the Dream!” Chris is a USCG licensed captain, ASA certified instructor and PADI dive master.
|Jon Totten – InstructorJon’s passion in life is sharing his love for the outdoors. He learned to sail on Lake Coeur d’Alene in Idaho where he ran the recreation department at North Idaho College. Teaching outdoor skills has taken him to New Zealand, the San Juan Islands, and of course, the Caribbean. Sailing, mastering the art of harnessing the wind, is his favorite subject to teach. He is a USCG licensed captain, ASA certified instructor, Wilderness Medicine instructor, holds a Master’s degree in Adult & Organizational Learning, and a bachelor’s degree in Resource Recreation & Tourism. He enjoys sailboat racing, playing the harmonica and telling not-so-short stories.
|RJ Portmann – InstructorIn 2012, RJ started formulating his “Zero to Hero” plan during his first sailing class in the cold waters of the Pacific Northwest with his instructor, Chris Rundlett. Not long after that, he sold almost everything he owned and moved to the Virgin Islands. Never losing sight of the dream, he ran a sailing charter boat and was able to earn his U.S. Coast Guard license. Chris called him to help deliver a boat from Antigua to New York solidifying RJ’s love for sailing. Chris called again but this time it was for his dream job – sailing and instructing in paradise! He avidly pursued his ASA instructors certifications and moved to Grenada. Not bad for a guy who grew up in landlocked Fairbanks, Alaska! R J spends his summers teaching sailing in Seattle, visiting family and friends. Of course, DMB & Grizz football are always on the schedule. RJ says, ”Go. Seek. Do. Your life is out there waiting for you, but it will not wait forever.” Recipient of ASA’s Outstanding Instructor Award for 2017.
|Chrystal Young – Director of Operations/OwnerChrystal is the Director of Operations and co-owner of LTD Sailing – “Living the Dream!” Her background is in Adult Education and Outdoor Leadership with a Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Studies. Taking her first sailing class at college in 2004, she spent most of the time in a stuffy classroom – all our classes take place on a sailboat in the Caribbean! Chrystal’s sailing resume includes racing in Washington State, Idaho and California as well the 2012 Baja Ha Ha (sailing rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico), cruising on the Chesapeake and yacht deliveries all over the Caribbean. She is an ASA certified sailor, avid kayaker and PADI open water diver.
Step Aboard Here
Start your experience with The Moorings on land and sign up to receive e-mails from us about yachts, offers and destinations.