RYA Offshore prep and exam course
The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore prep and exam course is the final step on a student’s journey to becoming a fully qualified, professional skipper. For a student, achieving the Yachtmaster Offshore qualification means that he or she can sail commercially and work towards becoming an instructor or other sailing professional.
To become commercially endorsed the following must be held:
- RYA Sea Survival
- ML5 medical certificate
- First aid certificate
- Radio Operators Licence – needed before starting this course
- Sea survival and medical certificate – needed before starting this course
Class size: 4:1 maximum ratio
What’s included: 7 nights’ accommodation on board the yacht. Breakfast and lunch and 2 evening meals. Certificate awarded upon successful completion of the course.
- Sail anywhere in the world on a charter holiday
- Make challenging passages across coastal waters
- Work commercially as a skipper
- Work towards becoming an instructor
Where to take this course?
Why take this course?
The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Preparation Course teaches the skills and techniques required to skipper safely on offshore passages by day and by night, including passage planning, preparation for sea, pilotage, yacht handling under sail and power, as well as in adverse weather conditions and emergencies.
The first five days of this seven-day course involve preparation for the final exam, with your instructor ensuring that you have the knowledge, understanding and techniques required to pass the assessment. You will focus on improving your weak areas, ensuring that your sailing manner is both safe and efficient.
On day five an RYA Examiner will step aboard and ask you to complete various tasks and manoeuvres to assess your ability. The exam will include an assessment of your skippering skills, boat handling, general seamanship, navigation, safety awareness and knowledge of the IRPCS, meteorology and signals.
Yachtmaster™ Offshore exam pre-requisites
- 50 days, 2,500 miles including at least 5 passages over 60 miles measured along the rhumb line from the port of departure to the destination, acting as skipper for at least two of these passages and including two which have involved overnight passages.
- 5 days experience as skipper.
- At least half this mileage and passages must be conducted in tidal waters.
- All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam.
- A GMDSS Short Range Certificate (SRC) or higher grade of marine radio certificate.
- A valid first aid certificate
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT INFORMATION
The Yachtmaster Offshore exam costs £224* which needs to be bought along with you and is payable to the examiner.
Please remember to also bring photo ID and 2 passport size photos with you for the certificate to be issued.
* Exam fee correct at time of publishing and subject to change without prior notice – Source https://www.rya.org.uk/training/certificates-of-competence/exam-fees
To book your course or to find out more:
For dates and availability please contact our UK sailing school on 02394 350 505 or email@example.com
Step Aboard Here
Start your experience with The Moorings on land and sign up to receive e-mails from us about yachts, offers and destinations.