RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship
Sunsail offers the RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship (ENAS) as an online course, making it easy for you to fit your learning around other commitments.
This ENAS online course will give you the essential knowledge needed when you’re afloat, from navigation to safety and seamanship to passage planning.
The course should take around six to ten hours to complete and is ideal for new or inexperienced skippers and crew—whether you’re a sailor, a motor boater, a diver, or a fisherman.
We recommend all ENAS students purchase an additional reading, such as the RYA ICC Handbook along with other Day Skipper theory books.
- Six-hour modular course
- Completed over any period of time
- Modules can be repeated up to two times
- Track your progress
- Get scored for the questions you answer
- Online support from a chief instructor
1. Charts, publications and terms – Basic terms, chart overview, introduction to chart datum and depths
2. Buoyage – Lateral buoys, cardinal buoys, where to find information
3. Navigation – Plotting a position, measuring distance and bearing, position fix, heading
4. Safety – personal and boat safety equipment, safety procedure and briefing, communications, engine checks, rescue procedures
5. Anchoring – Where to anchor, how to anchor
6. Tides – tidal streams, tidal heights
7. Electronic navigation – GOS terms, GPS use, using waypoints
8. Rules of the road – Risk of collision, who gives way
9. Weather forecasts – sources of forecast, terms used in forecast
10. Pilotage – Harbour information, transits, pilotage plan
11. Passage planning – SOLAS V requirements, pre planning, chart choice
- Personal login and access to the RYA Interactive Essential Navigation Course
- Quality plotter and dividers so you can do your chartwork
- RYA training charts and online almanac
- RYA Essential Navigation Northern Hemisphere Exercise book
- RYA Essential Navigation handbook
- Access to RYA Chart Plotter Software
Free postage to UK
Postage to overseas £20.00
Why take this course with Sunsail?
This online course will take around six to eight hours to complete, but the beauty of it is that you can work through it at your own speed, whenever and wherever you like.
To enable access to your online course we need to share some of your personal data with the RYA via your user profile in www.ryainteractive.org. This learning management website is hosted and maintained by a third party called Learning Pool, who will not use your personal information for any reason other than enabling your course.
Your name and email address will be entered on www.ryainteractive.org in order to create your user account. On your first access to the site, you will be asked to enter your address and date of birth. You will have access to the site for one year in order to complete your online course. During this period, your personal information will be held on the website by Learning Pool and be available to this training centre and the RYA for the purpose of managing your course.
Instructional support will be provided by this training centre for a period of 12 months from the date of your course booking.
On completion of your course, your name, email, date of birth and address will be transferred to the RYA’s central database for the purpose of recording details of the course and any certification you gain as a result of it. This information allows the RYA to record your certification, to update any records they may already hold about you or your qualifications and to verify your certificate if required. After one year from the date of your enrolment on the course, your user account will be removed from www.ryainteractive.org.
Full details of how the RYA will deal with your personal information will be displayed when you first access www.ryainteractive.org.
To book your RYA course or to find out more:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the course type, dates you would like to do and how many people will be completing the course for current availability. Or call us on 02394 350 505. Thank you.
Step Aboard Here
Start your experience with The Moorings on land and sign up to receive e-mails from us about yachts, offers and destinations.